Ouch! Your Silence Hurts (9 minutes)
OUCH! That Stereotype Hurts answered the question ‘why don’t people speak up?’ It delivered easy skills to train people to speak up against demeaning comments emails and jokes.
Now Ouch! Your Silence Hurts delves more deeply into the pivotal role of the bystander. Based on our test results it will inspire conversations that will extend way beyond the training room.
Many people say they want to speak up when they see others stereotyped disrespected or demeaned. But they stand by silently because of discomfort or the fear of saying the wrong thing. They may turn away thinking "who am I to get involved this isn’t my business." In fact as a bystander you ARE part of the conversation. You are the audience. Your silence allows the disrespectful behaviour to continue. Your silence hurts.
Ouch! Your Silence Hurts challenges viewers by asking "How will you personally respond next time you witness somebody being treated with disrespect? You have a choice: passive bystander or pro-active ally." In a powerful and compelling way this nine-minute video motivates bystanders to use their voice to speak up for respect on behalf of someone else.
- Understand the high cost of silent collusion
- Explore the power of the bystander to make a difference
- Inspire passive bystanders to use their voice as active allies
Programme will include:
- DVD with nine-minute Ouch! Your Silence Hurts programme skill-builder stories from the video. DVD extra video features.
- CD-ROM with reproducible learning materials: Leader’s guide for one-hour and 30-minute sessions participant handouts PowerPoint presentation and printable mini-poster.